The 5-Day Pause: Is the US-Iran War Ending or Just Reloading?
The Ultimatum Paused: What the 5-Day Halt Means for Your Money
In a surprise Truth Social post on Monday, March 23, 2026, President Trump announced he has instructed the "Department of War" to postpone all strikes against Iranian power plants and energy infrastructure. This move comes just as his 48-hour ultimatum for Iran to reopen the Strait of Hormuz was set to expire.
1. The Market Reaction: Oil "Cooling" Down
The immediate impact was felt in the commodity pits.
Brent Crude: After flirting with $117/barrel, Brent dropped roughly 7% to $103 following the news.
The Logic: Markets are pricing in a "diplomatic success" scenario. However, as long as the Strait remains "contested," the floor for oil will likely stay above $90.
2. The Diplomatic "Jockeying"
While Trump cited "very good and productive conversations" with Tehran, Iranian state media (Tasnim) has been more cautious, suggesting the pause is a tactic to "buy time."
Key Envoys: Reports indicate that Jared Kushner and Steve Witkoff have been in indirect contact with the new Iranian leadership council.
The Sticking Point: Iran is demanding a full ceasefire and the return of frozen assets, while the US is demanding the immediate, unconditional opening of the Strait of Hormuz and a "total resolution" of hostilities.
3. Strategy for the "Wait-and-See" Period
As an investor, this 5-day window is not the time to go "all-in" on high-risk assets.
Rebalancing Opportunity: If you were heavy on "War Hedges" like ONGC or Defense stocks (HAL/BEL), use this recovery in the broader market to rebalance into Large-cap Banks (HDFC/ICICI) which have been beaten down.
The Rupee Buffer: The USD/INR pair, which threatened to cross 95, may stabilize near 92.50–93.00 during this pause.
Watch the Deadline: The pause expires on Saturday, March 28. If no deal is reached by then, the "Energy Infrastructure" threat goes back on the table.
The Apollo Alpha Takeaway
We are in a "Tactical Calm." The war isn't over, but the threat of a global "energy blackout" has been delayed. Use these five days to audit your liquidity. If a deal is signed, the markets will moon; if talks fail, we go back to the $120 oil playbook.
Do you think Iran will blink and open the Strait, or is this just a pause before a bigger storm? Share your 5-day outlook in the comments!
Dhaval Visariya
AMFI Registered Distributor (ARN-327925) | Software Developer & Finance Enthusiast
Connect with me:
LinkedIn |
Telegram |
YouTube |
GitHub |
Medium
Disclaimer: I am an AMFI Registered Mutual Fund Distributor. Views expressed here are for educational purposes. Mutual Fund investments are subject to market risks, read all scheme related documents carefully.
📧 Contact: info.apollofinancialservices@gmail.com
Comments
Post a Comment